Our Recent Posts

Please reload

Archive

Please reload

Tags

Please reload

Apprentice required amputation after glove became entangled on rotating drill.

January 9, 2020

An architectural metalwork company has been fined after an employee suffered a serious hand injury on a pedestal drill.

Back on 21st August 2018, a young apprentice, working for Viking Engineering (Architectural metalwork) Ltd, required amputation of his right-hand middle finger after operations on a pedestal drill had to be halted when his glove became entangled inside the rotating spade drill bit on the machine. The apprentice was working on the company site, located in Basford Nottingham when the incident occurred.

 

Following the incident, a HSE investigation found that a companies written system of work, had highlighted the need to wear gloves whilst operating the machine. It seemed that standard practice for any workers operating the machine, would be to leave the gloves on at all time, even when re-positioning workpieces, which is how the incident in question occurred. 

 

During a HSE hearing, Viking engineering (Architectural Metalwork) Ltd of Park Lane, Basford, Nottingham were found guilty of breaching Section 2 (1) of The Health and Safety work act of 1974 . In its absence from the hearing, the company were find £78,000, and ordered to pay further costs of £3,914.48 plus a victim surcharge of £170. 

 

In a closing statement after the hearing, HSE inspector Mr Amandip Dhanda said 'taking simple measures, and monitoring systems of work, would have easily prevented this serious accident'. 

 

Please reload

 

+44 (0)1524 932100

Rock and Road Training Ltd
Storey House, 
Whitecross Business Park
Lancaster 
LA1 4XQ

©2020 by Rock and Road Training.